BookConnection

Book Connection

I'm a lover of books. I love how discussing books connect us in really substantial and interesting ways.

The Heretic's Daughter
Kathleen Kent
The Wishing Thread: A Novel
Lisa Van Allen
The Golem and the Jinni - Helene Wecker First and formeost, this is a wonderfully written story. While our main characters take center stage, there are a cast of supporting characters including turn of century New York city that are brought to life by this author. Weaving two tales from different cultures; the Golem, a creature made from clay using Kabbalistic rituals - dark magic that is frowned on and the Jinni a being of fire from the Syrian desert. We learn how these creatures come to be in New York and watch as they attempt to blend in so they are not discovered . Each enters the human world and lives as best they can while struggling with their own natures. They will meet and learning who the other is begin a tentative friendship; Jinni, impulsive and the Golem, cautious. In the end each will meet their master and enslaver and be threatened with the end of their lives.Yet there is so much more here than this wonderful story. It raised questions about the use of power, the role of religion in our lives, and asks can we overcome our nature? The biggest question that arose for me was "what makes a human?" I hope the author wil forgive me when I say I thought a lot about the [b:The Velveteen Rabbit|144974|The Velveteen Rabbit|Margery Williams|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347748913s/144974.jpg|1602074] while reading this book. Unlike the children's book, the answers in this book are more complex but both books brought a little magic and a lot wonderful moments to this reader.